Jan over at RevGalBlogPals writes:
1. Oddly this year, the second day of Lent was Valentine's Day. How was this for you? Was Valentine's Day any different being in Lent?
We did splurge and go out to eat for dinner, even though we are not eating out during Lent. It was really good. And the GirlChild felt special, so it was worth it.
2. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday this year? Any memories of memorable celebrations past?
Our church has a little parade for the kids and a pancake dinner. It was a good time and there were a lot of beads.
3. How about Ash Wednesday, past and/or present?
We mixed it up a little this year. I didn't cancel our regular Wednesday night bible study at Starbucks. We did have it, we just did the liturgy right there in the shop. It was actually really cool, because a number of parents stayed, one of the youth ministers and his young family showed up, and my co-sponsor is a grandmother so we had three generations standing there imposing ashes on each other. 24 people in Starbucks is a big group anyway. It was good for the teens to publicly declare their faith. And it started good conversations a long the way.
4. Do you have a personal plan of give-ups, take-ons, special ministries, and/or a special focus for your own spiritual growth between now and Easter?
Besides the afore mentioned not eating out, I am taking on some extended quiet time and making sure I go to a Saturday night worship for me.
5. Do you have a book or a website you are reading often during Lent?
I am a big fan of the bible app on my phone. I have a couple devotions that I do and everything is right there. I am also participating in the UM church's #rethinkchurch picture of the day. At a meeting I was at the other day, I heard about this website, and think it is a marvelous idea.